(17-11-23)MOGADISHU — After a significant struggle, firefighters successfully contained a massive fire that ravaged parts of the Hamarweyne market in Mogadishu on Friday evening. The fire, which reportedly originated from the Marwaaz Mosque area within the market, quickly spread to the Dahablaha Market and the Butcher’s Slaughterhouse, causing widespread alarm.
Yusuf Madale, the Mayor of Mogadishu, was promptly on the scene to oversee the firefighting efforts. In a statement to the press, he indicated that the fire was believed to have been caused by an electrical fault. Given the recurrent fire incidents in Mogadishu’s markets, often linked to electrical issues, Mayor Madale asserted that power companies would be held accountable for this devastation.
The fire, which caused significant property damage, also led to numerous casualties and the collapse of several commercial buildings. This incident adds to a troubling trend of market fires in the city, with similar occurrences reported in the Bakara and Banadir markets.
The Banadir regional administration and local volunteers aided emergency teams and worked tirelessly to extinguish the blaze and prevent further spread. The efforts to control the fire, which posed a severe risk to the densely populated area, were eventually successful, but not without considerable loss.
This incident has raised serious concerns about the safety standards and infrastructure in Mogadishu’s bustling markets, particularly regarding electrical wiring and fire response mechanisms. As the city recovers from this tragedy, attention is now turning to preventive measures and the need for stringent safety protocols to avoid future incidents of this magnitude.